Log in

Public Funding

The Office of Hearing Services
National Disability Insurance Scheme
WorkCover / WorkSafe


Allied healthcare providers (audiologists) provide audiology services funded by Medicare under the following categories:

Diagnostic audiology (must be requested by an Ear Nose and Throat specialist or Neurologist)
Chronic Disease Management (referred by a GP as part of a chronic disease management plan)

Medicare Better Start for Children with Disability items (referred by a paediatrician or psychiatrist)

Follow-up Allied Health Services for People of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Descent

Audiology / Otolaryngology procedures (auditory and vestibular assessment) undertaken on behalf of a medical specialist (Ear Nose and Throat specialist or Neurologist).

Cochlear implantation.

Referral and eligibility criteria apply.

Gap fees may be charged.

Office of Hearing Services

The Office of Hearing Services (OHS) operates a voucher scheme for eligible pensioners.  These might include NDIS recipients, Vete

rans and government pension recipients.

Voucher applications must be approved by a general practitioner.

Voucher holders have full choice of which provider they wish to consult.
Most members of Independent Audiologists Australia are OHS providers

Each voucher entitles the holder to an assessment and intervention, usually in the form of hearing aids. 
Fully subsidised hearing aids are available to all pensioners.   Fully subsidised hearing aids meet standards to ensure they are beneficial to most people.  An option to "top up" to obtain hearing aids with features not paid for by the government may be offered. Consult you audiologist to understand when such features may be helpful to you.

Voucher holders who have implanted hearing devices (cochlear implants or bone anchored hearing aids) may have them maintained under the OHS scheme.

Not all rehabilitation services are paid for by the Office of Hearing Services and services such as counselling, communication training and specialised assessments might be recommended in addition to those products and services covered by the voucher.

Read more about  OHS  here....

National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)

The NDIS  provides funding for necessary and reasonable services and devices for eligible Australians under the age of 65 years.

Individuals or their families apply for the NDIS.   If found to be eligible, a plan is put into place that can be self-managed or managed by an NDIS support co-ordinator or local area co-ordinator.

The scheme is managed by each State.

Audiologists can provide hearing devices through the OHS voucher scheme which has been adopted by the NDIS for managed plans, or independently of the voucher scheme for those self-managing their NDIS plan.

Audiologists can also provide therapeutic supports for services such as counselling and communication training that are deemed necessary and reasonable.

Read more about the NDIS here....

Health and Safety in the WorkplaceImage result for workcover hearing loss

New South Wales (NSW) -  SafeWork NSW, Insurance and Care NSW (icare) and State Insurance Regulatory Authority (SIRA) -https://www.workcover.nsw.gov.au/

Queensland (Qld) - WorkCover Queensland  (formerly known as Q-COMP) - https://www.worksafe.qld.gov.au

South Australia (SA)  SafeWork SA -https://www.safework.sa.gov.au

Northern Territory (NT)  NT WorkSafe -  www.worksafe.nt.gov.au

Tasmania (Tas) Worksafe Tasmania and WorkCover Tasmania - http://www.workcover.tas.gov.au/

Australian Capital Territory (ACT) -   WorkSafe ACT - www.worksafe.act.gov.au

Western Australia (WA) - WorkSafe and WorkCover WA - www.workcover.wa.gov.au

Victoria (Vic) - WorkCover and WorkSafe - https://www.worksafe.vic.gov.au

Each regulatory body is responsible for enforcing health and safety laws and to protect the health and safety  of all workers in Australia - including noise exposure, protection of hearing and compensation for work related hearing loss. 

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software